-320g carnaroli or vialone nano rice
-1L vegetable stock
-150g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
-1 glass of dry white wine
-0.20g saffron pistils
-salt, to taste
- Chop the saffron pistils and let them dissolve in a bowl of stock.
- In the meantime, melt 80g butter in a pan, browning the shallot and then add the rice and toast it.
- Pour the white wine into the pan and leave to evaporate. Once all the alcohol has evaporated, pour 2 ladles of boiling stock to the side of the pan so the temperature of the rice does not decrease.
- Halfway through cooking, add the dissolved saffron.
- Once cooked, cream the rice with the remaining butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano, add salt to taste.
- Leave the risotto to rest a minute before serving
Recipe: Francesco Dall’Argine. Photography: John Holdship
Food features and recipes like this appear in the Desang Diabetes Magazine, our free-to-receive digital journal. We cover diabetes news, diabetes ‘kit’ and information on food suitable for maintaining good blood glucose control or a diabetic diet, including a regular Making Carbs Count column. It’s free! Go to the top of this page to sign up – we just need your email address. See current and past issues at